VENICE SPRING FLING
LINEUP ANNOUNCED FOR ANNUAL VENICE SPRING FLING,
FREE MUSIC AND ARTS FESTIVAL - MAY 18, 2013 AT THE BEACH IN WINDWARD PARK, VENICE, CA
full, free day of music, arts, and dance, featuring the best of local musicians, including former Black Flag Member Chuck Dukowski, ska band The Untouchables, and many more local and international performers
On Saturday, May 18, 2013, the third annual VENICE SPRING FLING celebrates the season of rebirth in Venice with a free, full day of live music, dance, and art just off the boardwalk in Windward Plaza Park from 11am - 7:30pm. (Windward Plaza Park is at 1 Windward Avenue, between the boardwalk and the bike trail in Venice, CA 90291.) VENICE SPRING FLING is the sister festival of the Venice Beach Music Fest, and both festivals are dedicated to showcasing the best of Venice, as well as preserving the eclectic and creative vision Abbot Kinney had for our fair city by the sea.
This year at VSF3 the groove is on the beach with a nod to the west coast funk, rock, and ska music that influenced a generation of musicians across the nation. The day's performance lineup is as follows, beginning at 11 a.m.: Samba dance act Samba Da Mudanca
, acoustic songstress Stephanie Lallouz
(Hunny Bunch), American Tribal Style (ATS)
Bellydance and Drums, L.A.-based funk and soul band The Mason Affair
, psychedelic rock act Corty Byron
(with full band), Ya Harissa Bellydance Theater
, punk/prog rock newcomers Mars and the Massacre
, funk/soul/spoken-word all-star band Scunc
(featuring Michael Jost of Sugarbitch and multi-platinum drummer and producer Andy Kravitz), surf rock/reggae band Meet Me at the Pub,
The Chuck Dukowski Sextet (Black Flag bassist Dukowski with Milo Gonzalez of Insects vs. Robots), and the quintessential Los Angeles ska band The Untouchables
. The party continues immediately following the festival with an aftershow hosted by Danny's Venice,
featuring several festival performers and additional special guests. See below for more detail on the day's performers.
Festival producer and Venice local Milton Rosenberg says, "Everyone is welcome for an amazing day of free music and fun at the beach, right here in the heart of Venice. The early part of the show starting at 11 a.m. has been scheduled with families and children in mind." Punk bassist Chuck Dukowski, one of this year's headliners, says of playing in his hometown, "It will be epic and amazing...to play on the beach, in sight of nature's magical ocean," and adds, "We love [Venice] for being the the cultural nexus for the freekmind kind." Jerry Miller, singer of the Los Angeles ska band The Untouchables, who headline the event, says, ""Venice is already one of the best places in the world. Then add music to that...it's going to be incredible."
Additional features of the day include a large visual art show including artists Ra Ra SuperStar, art by sky, Alex Avila, Brian Mylius, ok its kelly, Ann Cohen, Jayne Kondo, Daniel Miltonian ("Dunkees"), Joel Harris, Martha C. Wilson Woodhouse, JELLOPOP, Joe Hernandez, Audrey McNamara-Garcia
and others. Poet and artist Ann Cohen
, wife of late Beat poet Allen Cohen, will be on hand to read from Allen's ever-a propos body of work. Hula hoops by Eclectic Hoops
will be on site, as well as the Dr. Bronner's All-One Ark Interblastive Foam Shower Experience
, an "ecological and exhilarating" foam shower featuring Dr. Bronner's fair trade organic soap in fun foam form. This fun recreation option will be on hand for interested festivalgoers. Bring your bathing suits and friends and get ready to get blasted by foam!
Food trucks on hand will include Schmuck With a Truck
(a New York Delicatessen on Wheels), Firehouse Chefs
(firehouse fusion foods and spices), and The Paradise Truck
(fresh baked cookies and fine homemade ice cream).
Venice Spring Fling 3 is made possible by many local and veteran sponsors. This year's primary sponsor is Earrigation Mobile Recording Studios.
Proprietor and music fan Mark Tucci calls his company "a collective of musicians and professionals dedicated to presenting free music to people and valuable stage time to musicians everywhere." Additional local sponsors include Venice Beach Suites and Hotel, The Sidewalk Cafe, Danny's Venice Restaurant, Venice Boardwalk Association, Jodi Maroni's Sausage Kingdom, Fresh Brothers Pizza, Al & Ed's Autosound Marina Del Rey, Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap, Bartels' Harley Davidson, Galactic Drifter Internet Solutions, Sync It Up Audio, Animal House Venice, Venice Breeze Suites, Zelda's Corner Deli, Moses Jewelry, Yo! Venice, Venice Beachhead
, and Venice Paparazzi.
Producing the festival is a labor of love for Rosenberg. He adds, "The Venice Spring Fling is proud to showcase some of the finest talent in many forms of the arts. It is primarily sponsored by local businesses and community volunteers. So come on out to offer your support for these hard-working independent artists!" Venice Spring Fling is an annual community event; last year's headliners included Barry "The Fish" Melton (Country Joe and the Fish) and the Tracii Guns (Guns N Roses) League of Gentlemen.
Visit www.venicespringfling.com for additional information. Connect with the community at www.facebook.com/venicespringfling .
This event is endorsed by the Venice Chamber of Commerce.
VENICE SPRING FLING 3 PERFORMERS, IN ORDER OF APPEARANCE:
Samba da Mudanca (Samba for Change)
- The dancers make a grand entrance from the boardwalk to the front of the stage in Windward Plaza. Samba da Mudanca was formed with a principal focus on sharing music, samba, and outreach through socially conscious events, and they perform throughout California as well as at weekly gigs at L.A. clubs and festivals.
- Lallouz, originally from Canada, is a lifelong student of voice, music, and acting, and has been a figure on the L.A. music scene for years. She is a veteran performer of the festival, and Venice Spring Fling welcomes Stephanie back to the stage for another great performance of folk covers and originals.
ATS Bellydance and Drums
- Also known as the Tribal Dance Jam Collective, ATS performs American Tribal Style dance, which embodies everything from folkloric-inspired dances to a fusion of ancient dance from North India, the Middle East, and Africa. Dancers in highly decorative costumes interact with each other while improvising a simple movement vocabulary with the same stylization among all members. ATS will perform two sets.
The Mason Affair
- Founded in 2011 by Mike Mason, this funk/soul band formed piece by piece through jam sessions with a blend of musicians from many influences and backgrounds. Their debut album, Eyes on Fire (2012), features raw and funky cuts that forge a new direction in the genre of soul, paying homage to their influences, which include The Meters, Sly and the Family Stone, and James Brown. Mason hopes to start the day off right by "having a big dance party at the beach!"
- Guitarist/vocalist/songwriter Byron has been active as a musician for over a decade. After two solo projects, Endless North (2010) and Histrionic EP (2011), he gigged his way from Manhattan to Memphis, Austin to Vegas, and all points in between, opening for or performing with Gregg Allman, The Doobie Brothers, Bruce Hornsby, and The Gin Blossoms, among others. After living in Venice for the past year, Corty has shifted away from blues-drenched, swampy vintage rock to song-driven, psychedelic indie pop. Corty's set and segue into Barry "The Fish" Melton's performance during Venice Spring Fling 2 was a highlight of the show.
Ya Harissa Bellydance Theatre
- A Venice-based dance company that performs a mix of different styles from traditional to cabaret. Ya Harissa is also a veteran of the Venice Spring Fling and will be performing two sets.
Mars and the Massacre
- An L.A.-based rock trio originally hailing from Indianapolis, IN, they call themselves, "chaotically melodic Pixies punk, mixed with the sinister grunt of Queens of the Stone Age and the spacey weirdness of the Flaming Lips," but there seems to be no limitation or appropriate genre to describe where this band can take their trippy original songs. Venice Spring Fling is excited to introduce Mars and the Massacre to the Venice community!
- Venice band Scunc returns to the stage after a ten-year hiatus. Vocalist/poet Tovi Khali and guitar virtuoso Michael Jost (Sugarbitch, George Clinton) formed Scunc in 2002, but shelved the project until just recently, when Grammy-nominated and multi-platinum drummer/producer Andy Kravitz (Taj Mahal, Joan Osborne, Billy Joel), moved to Venice, and joined forces with bassist Jeff Smith and multi-instrumentalist Maddy D. Scunc's new, fuller sound was produced: a danceable but thought-provoking mix of funk, rock, soul, and spoken word. "The platform for this [reunion] is way more than I could've asked for," says Khali. "I couldn't be prouder. No matter where people want to take this music, it is straight Venice!"
Meet Me at the Pub
- The quintessential Venice surf punk/party band, Pub formed in 1999 and soon built a rabid local fan base with the local surfers and skaters. The band's release, Tall Can Wednesday, was produced by Lewis Richards (Slightly Stoopid, Sublime), and the result is a sound that embodies the true Southern Cali spirit-a good-time mixture of reggae, ska, punk, and melodic rock (with the occasional odd waltz thrown in just for fun). Meet Me At The Pub has shared the stage with Toots & The Maytals, Eek-a-Mouse, Fishbone, The Untouchables, Horny Toad, and many others. Frontman Jeremy Parker is a fixture on the local music scene, hosting open mic acoustic nights at the Whaler. He remarks about the beach-facing festival stage, "The best part of playing...is being able to watch my friends take off on waves while I'm rockin' out!" He adds, "I love being a part of this great community of creativity and expression. We feel blessed to be here to experience it."
The Chuck Dukowski Sextet
- Seminal Southern California punk/hardcore band Black Flag's co-founder, bassist, and songwriter Chuck Dukowski is back with The Chuck Dukowski Sextet (actually a foursome), joined by lifelong Venice residents wife Lora Norton on vocals; stepson Milo Gonzalez (Insects vs. Robots) on guitar; and Ashton Slater on drums. The Sextet impressed critics with their albums Eat My Life (2006), and Reverse the Polarity (2007), and they return with new music from their latest album, Haunted (2012). They bring an experimental and seductive melange of old school metal and hardcore, psychedelia and classical, with a multi-generational appeal. Their live performances are powerful and explosive with professional contortionist Gonzalez backbending through his guitar solos and Norton's exotic persona and commanding voice. The Chuck Dukowski Sextet are veterans of the annual Venice Beach Music Fest, and Venice Spring Fling 3 welcomes them back to the Ocean Stage for another twisted and mind-blowing set.
- For over twenty years, The Untouchables have brought a danceable ska/reggae mix to fans in their native Los Angeles and nationwide. As forerunners of the national mod revival in the '80s, the band was propelled to national attention by their appearance in the movies Repo Man and Surf II. Soon people everywhere were dancing to their songs "Twist-n-Shake" (B-side "Dance Beat"), "Tropical Bird" (B-side "The General"), "Free Yourself," and "Lebanon." The Untouchables went on to become the house band at the Roxy, and were the mod/ska band to see every weekend at places like The Timbers, Oscar's Cornhusker, Mama Brown's Backdoor, Fenders and The Golden Bear in Huntington Beach. They have shared stages with UB40, The B-52's, Black Uhuru, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and X, and were the impetus for bands such as Fishbone, early No Doubt, Skeletones and Let's Go Bowling. Recently, the band has resurged its playing schedule and performs regularly in Vegas for gigs like Mods Mayday, Punk Rock Bowling, and various scooter rallies. "Right now, there are a lot of young people who have never seen us play live," says original Untouchables member and singer Jerry Miller, who adds that he is looking forward to the band's first performance on the Ocean Stage.
Join the community at www.facebook.com/venicespringfling. Interested
sponsors and volunteers are encouraged to contact event organizers at
Visit us on Facebook